October 16, 2009

Recipe: Sweet Italian Sausage Soup

Yesterday was our first really chilly fall day here in Virginia. My family needed a warm homemade soup. So, I decided on this one.





  • 1/2 diced onion


  • 1 garlic clove


  • 6 sweet italian sausages


  • 14 cups stock


  • 1 cup uncooked rice


  • 1 cup italian plum tomatoes


  • 1/2 lb of destemmed spinach


  • 2/3 cup any italian cheese


Recipe from http://www.recipecircus.com/

Directions:
Remove skin and cut sausage in 1/2 pieces and put into large pot. Add onion and saute' on low until sausage is golden brown. (I crumbled the sausage)
Add stock and simmer. Add rice and tomatoes and simmer for 15-20 minutes until rice is done. (I used 1 can italian-style stewed tomatoes)
Add spinach, salt & pepper to taste. (I added hot sauce to my serving)
Garnish each bowl with cheese before serving. (I also added homemade multi-grain croutons)

Verdict: This soup was okay. I think it's a great base to experiment and get rid of leftovers. You could add any pasta like orzo, tortilenni, elbow, or penne. Next time I would add more garlic, another can of tomatoes, white northern beans and veggies like celery, carrots and zucchini. Maybe even use half sweet and half mild sausages for more zip. However, this recipe was very economical.



0 comments: